Or, in my case after living here several years, I felt I'd done everything in the immediate area that my dad would enjoy - until my co-worker suggested the Volo Auto Museum!!! It is a bit of a drive down to Illinois - but sooooo worth it! And as a bonus, they have a huge antique mall as well.
We've been back a couple of times since our first visit and have always had a good time. Check out their website for directions, maps, hours, prices, attractions, etc - but here is why I love the place:
- A big display of Military cars - cool for dads, brothers, husbands, ten year old kids and even me!
- Classic cars galore - and most are for sale - it's always fun to dream!
- Hollywood Cars from famous TV shows and movies! Check out the BatMobile, Back to the Future Time Machine, "Eleanor" from Gone in 60 Seconds - and lots more!
- Kid's section of Hollywood Cars - climb into the Flintstone's Car for a photo-op!
- Antique Mall - it's HUGE and was a hit with my mom and even younger sisters who are into "vintage" stuff.
- Food court - a bit pricey, but decent basics: pizza, fries, ice cream and sandwiches.
So, surprise your Dad (or car-obsessed hubby) and take a day trip down to Volo!